Monday 26 September 2011

Why be Catholic? - How Baffling You Are Oh Church!

Today we introduce Sr. Gail Jagroop whose reflective pieces will focus on the topic "Why Be Catholic?" We hope you enjoy and contribute your thoughts to these enlightening pieces.


How Baffling You Are Oh Church!

How baffling you are oh Church. And yet how I love you!

How you have made me suffer. And yet how much I owe you!

I should like to see you destroyed. And yet I need your presence.

You have given me so much scandal. And yet you have made me understand
sanctity.

I have seen nothing in the world more devoted to obscurity, more compromised, more false. And I have touched nothing more pure, more generous, more beautiful.

How often I have wanted to shut the doors of my soul in your face. And how often I have prayed to die in the safety of your arms.

No, I cannot free myself form you, because I am you, although not completely. And where should I go?

(Taken from “The God Who Comes” by Carlo Carretto)


For Your Reflection: 
What are your own love/hate feelings about the Catholic Church? Why would you want to leave it? And where would you go? Why do you stay? Share this with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment